Study In - UK

UK Student Visa

The UK is one of the best places to study. Securing a place at a university and UK visa to go with it can be a confusing process. In this article, we look at the process of applying for a visa to study as an international student. There are two types of UK student visas. These are:

  • Short-term study visa.
  • Tier 4- (General) student visa.

If you are looking at studying for longer than six months, then it is likely you will require a Tier 4 (General) UK Student Visa. Most international students from outside the EU will need a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK. You can apply for this if you are 16 or over and:

  • you have been offered a place on a course.
  • You can understand English, including reading, writing, and speaking.
  • You can prove you have enough money to pay your course fees and support yourself for the duration of your studies.
  • Eligibility Criteria

    To be eligible for a Tier 4 student visa, you must:

    • Have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor
    • Be able to speak, read, write and understand English
    • Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course.

    Documents required for Tier 4 student visa

    When applying for your Tier 4 visa, you will generally need:

    • A current passport or other valid travel documentation
    • Evidence of funds to provide your living expenses for the duration of your course
    • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number and documents used to obtain CAS
    • Passport-sized color photographs
    • Tuberculosis screening (if required)
    • Assessment documentation
    • Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate (if required)
    • To gain your UK student visa, you’ll have to provide evidence of proficiency in the English language. This usually means passing a secure English language test to be able to prove your communication and correspondence skills.

    Additional documents may also be needed if you are:

    • Not a citizen of the country you are applying from
    • Under 18 years of age
    • Have family (dependents)

    Applying for a study permit

    You can apply for up to three months before your intended date of travel to the UK. Remember, your application date is the date when your application fee is paid. As part of your application, you must also obtain a biometric residence permit (BRP) from the UKVI. You will need to make an appointment with the UKVI to have your fingers and thumbs scanned and a digital photo taken of your face.

    Financial support

    Immigration is very strict about the financial documents you need to show you have enough money for your visa. The money you are required to show for your maintenance can be in your bank account, in parent’s accounts, or in a joint account with your name. In case you are relying on funds in your parent’s accounts, you must show the following documents:

    • Parent’s letter confirming that you are their child and that they will be paying all of your expenses.
    • Your original birth certificates
    • Your parent’s financial documents

    In case you are relying on funds in a family member’s account other than your parents, then they will need to transfer the required funds into your account or joint account with your name. The home office is very specific, and there are strict requirements that these documents must be produced when requested.

    • Bank statements
    • Building society passbooks
    • Letter from the bank.
    • Overseas account statements/letters
    • Letter from a financial institution regulated by the Financial Services Authority
    • Letter confirming a loan. The loan must be provided by your national government, their state or regional government, a government-sponsored student loan company or part of an academic or educational loan scheme

    If any of your documents are not in English, then include translations that meet the specific requirements for translations.

    28-Day Rule

    The funds you use for maintenance must be in your account for a consecutive period of 28 days. Your application will be refused if you will not meet the Home Office requirements, or this money drop below the required amount even for a single day. Your bank statement must be no more than 30 days old on the date of your application.

    Further information, help, and advice

    Triniti Immigration team of specialists has over 4decades of experience in immigration services and has helped thousands of people to study and work in the UK. All applications for UK visas are dealt with in-house by a member of the Law Society of Upper UK.